Re: [OM] 20mm f/3.5 Macro (non-MC)

Subject: Re: [OM] 20mm f/3.5 Macro (non-MC)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:03:42 -0500

> Oh, and another question - what do you guys do to tame vibrations from
> an OM-1 when using a lens like this for natural-light work? (i.e. shutter
> speeds anything from 0.5 to 20 seconds) ? I thought my
> old Linhof tripod was reasonably solid, but even with mirror lockup,
> at these high magnifications the image is jumping all over the show, almost
> impossible. Thus, am generally using flash for the moment.

The short answer is to NOT use the OM-1.  The OM-1 has that little issue
with the aperture stop-down mechanism that shakes the camera (even with
mirror lockup) like it's coming off of a high.

An OM-2, 3 or 4 series body (even the OM-2000) will be much smoother in this
circumstance.

Long answer is to use a LONGER shutter speed.  As a general rule, you should
avoid 1/4 to 1/30 second with all OM bodies, but especially the OM-1. When
you use a longer shutter speed than 1/4 second, the percentage of the
exposure that is affected by vibration is greatly reduced.  With a 2-second
exposure, for example, you will have no shutter-vibration blurring.

AG