Re: [OM] 20mm f/3.5 Macro (non-MC)

Subject: Re: [OM] 20mm f/3.5 Macro (non-MC)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:49:47 +0200
Hmm - my OM-1n must have bad internal bumpers then, because it really
does
vibrate a bit more than the OM-2n. But as I said, my main issue is
vibration
not from the mirror, but when the shutter opens (and thus, the notorious
aperture stop-down mechanism). Even without mirror-lockup, the OM-2n
has given
me sharper, natural-light images on the same setup (same tripod, etc).

Anyway, the bag filled with lead shot is an excellent idea (together
with a much
better tripod one day) - not sure that it'd be good for the top of the
bellows
though, I think the lead shot will work better with the 65-116 auto
tube.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations, this is a bit of a new journey
for me.
I do prefer natural light for most of my more abstract macro work, no
flash.

For example, this shot I posted previously was with the 20/3.5 with
natural
light, ~4 seconds exposure at f/16 (massively diffaction-limited, but
needed the DOF).
It came out fine with the OM-2n (auto tube + bellows), not sure that
my OM-1 would
have settled down enough by then.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/236/9/d/Seedling_by_philosomatographer.jpg
(around 15:1 magnification, 5x7 chemical print)

I will work at this further, but am thoroughly impressed with the lens.

Oh, by the way, my 20/3.5 lens is one of the first batch
(200xxx serial number, number 200726) so it's definitely single-coated.
Which is great, I prefer a bit less contrast for B&W. The view through
this
lens (with a well-lit scene, and the right focusing screen) is amazing,
it's so remarkably crisp and realistic. Unbelievable for a 35-year old
tiny piece of glass a couple of mm across.

<snip>