Re: [OM] What about the overall image? [was first one with the 300mm f/4

Subject: Re: [OM] What about the overall image? [was first one with the 300mm f/4, 5]
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 23:43:08 -0300
Hey, Bat-Man ;-)

It _is_ another trunk, more dark in the scan than in the Velvia
(remember I spot-metered the hole in the white trunk).

I made unbelievable twists on the RGB curve to lift the shadows there,
even used highlight/shadows in PS for the first scan, not for the second
one.

Haze has two meanings in this thread (I had thought it was an
uninteresting picture I did in a rush ... ): one is an issue addressed
by C.H. and another is a mix of low contrast / wrong color balance,
addressed by Ken and Carlos _for the first one only_.

The second one is much better; it has less detail in the shadows, has a
strong red hue as does this Velvia roll, and has blown out highlight
which are a result of a too steep RGB curve - in a quest of improving
overall contrast and bring up shadow details, I blew the highlights a
little. Remember the trunk is almost white, with a black hole in the
middle. I wanted to see into the black hole.

So, I'm trying now to _guess_ how to do a scan for the highlights and
one for the shadows, in Vuescan,
I'm failing to find a way ... I don't want to go to sleep tomorrow at 4.
I'd like to collect the advice of C.H., Ken, Moose, Carlos, Russ Butler
and yours - and make another scan with even more careful curves
adjustments, and USM to cancel the issue addressed by C.H., but I'm too
tired this far.

Perhaps someone would tell me how do I make a scan for the shadows and
combine it with one for the highlights - expanding the dynamic range
will solve all the questions posed by the digitalization of these
trunks' image.

Fernando.