Re: [OM] What about the overall image? [was first one with the 300mm f/4

Subject: Re: [OM] What about the overall image? [was first one with the 300mm f/4, 5]
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 20:28:51 -0300

Moose wrote:

> First, the primary subject looks wildly overexposed. Actually, the
> highlights aren't clipped, but the tonal distribution is way off.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/FGonzalezG/Trunks.htm>

In a sense, yes. But bear in mind that the surface of the primary
subject is almost white, and heavily lit by warm light.
Besides, in a few seconds I decided to expose for the hollow in the
trunk, to get detail of whatever was inside it. That was my main
subject: the hole in the trunk, so I spot metered perhaps three times
the hole and only one the whitish surface of the ombú, which was
reflecting huge amounts of light. I'm looking at the slide right now:
obviously I made the RGB curve too steep, in an intent to increase
overall contrast. Well, I blew some of the details in the highlights
while trying to get the right contrast in the oof front trunk.

And as mentioned before, found this outdated Velvia (and the one
developed before), with a shift towards red I was trying to correct at
the same time. As far as I can tell, that was the main reason why the
first version looks so soft: not only had I missed the RGB curve by
doing too little, but was terribly green-cyan.
> Second, the primary subject is soft. Whether from inexact focus,
> vibration, aperture, scan or some combination, once the excessive
> brightness is corrected, it's just not sharp.
The Velvia is razor sharp, even in the almost blown-out highlights.
Fortunately, it's sharper and less red each time I look at it again.
No focus error, aperture was ƒ/8, no vibration etc: it is technically a
good one.

The scan is soft, yes
>  Looking at my version now
> full size, I see I oversharpened it, although I may still prefer it to
> the original softness.

But compared to to the Velvia, and to the scene I witnessed, the primary
subject is too red-yellow - I don't care about oversharpening, but that
tree is almost white, with a black hole in the middle.

;-)
> Moose

Fernando.