Re: [OM] Day One Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] Day One Redux
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:19:27 -0400
I'm sure you could have done it yourself with no more than the 5 lights
I used.  Take another close look at the shot
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/smith%20barn/group%20shot%20proof%20-%20img_0382.htm>

This was a late Saturday morning wedding and the reception meal is a
late lunch.  This shot was taken at about 1:00 or 1:30 pm and there is
at least some sunshine sneaking in through small windows at the back and
sides of the loft.  That helped to light the upper part of the barn.
There are no windows below but the room was fairly well lit by the
lights at the top of the posts and on the ceiling over the tables.  Of
course, the wood is eating up the light and not reflecting much.

Next note the small, incandescent party lights stringing the support
posts.  These were very low power relative to the flash and to capture
them at all took a long shutter drag.  Exposure on this 28mm shot was
ISO 400, f/9 at 1/4 second.

The 4 main lights were Alien Bee 800's all on the loft level and hidden
behind the posts.  They were at relatively low power (about 1/4 or 1/3
IIRC) since they were only pointing down on the crowd.  The shutter drag
took care of the walls and ceiling.  There was also a front light
composed of two T32s with umbrella down on the ground floor.  Similar to
this but on a lightstand.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>

Since I was using such a slow shutter speed I did call out to everyone
to stand still and counted down while I tripped the shutter.  I managed
to get off 9 shots before the kids got too antsy.

I did go to the barn several days ahead of time at the same time of day
to make a complete setup and test.  That was to test not only the
exposure but how long the setup would take.  Fortunately there was
plenty of sun both days so I didn't have to adjust exposure for that.
Also, the staff in attendance during the test cooperated and stood still
to have their pictures taken during the test if they were in the area.

The manager gave me complete freedom to do what I wanted as long as I
didn't interfere with the activities of the staff who were preparing for
another wedding.  I was also surprised to learn from her that, to her
knowledge, no other photographer had come in as I did to set up lighting
for a test... but I could tell that.  They had many publicity shots
posted on the walls from prior weddings.  Most of the shots were not
well lit and the best only fair.

Dr. Flash