Re: [OM] Struggling with light at Ballenberg in 2009

Subject: Re: [OM] Struggling with light at Ballenberg in 2009
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:36:38 -0500

> I could be wrong, and probably am, but I don't think you can balance
> interior darkness and window light without flash. With apologies to
> AG, I don't think film would be much, if any, improvement over
> digital.

I agree. Film won't be much help here, unless we're talking about a nice
wide-latitude B&W film or possibly a low-contrast color film such as Fuji
160S or Portra 160NC.

What I'm seeing in the pictures, which is a little disconcerting to me
personally, is too much shadow recovery. That's what I was implying by my
comment about an S-curve adjustment to fatten up the bottom end. What
highlight and shadow recovery do is bump UP the shadows and pull DOWN the
highlights. All fine and dandy, but you can end up with flat and
linear-looking images.

The big difference between a film image and digital image in a high-contrast
situation like this, is that film has a shoulder and toe which maintains
details, yet the dynamic range within the shoulder and toe is highly
compressed. HDR, or highly recovered shadows and highlights will take what
is normally part of the upper and lower reaches of the dynamic range--those
areas where the eye will accept compression and stretches them out while
compressing the mid-tones. What you end up with, and this is quite apparent
in these images, is the midtone contrast not following a typical, say, 2:1
contrast ratio, but more like a 4:1 contrast ratio.  It creates a rather
flat image, which may show all the dynamic range, but the midtones are
uncomfortably squished.

AG