Re: [OM] Struggling with light at Ballenberg in 2009

Subject: Re: [OM] Struggling with light at Ballenberg in 2009
From: Iwert <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:01:25 +0200
There are a few good solutions possible:

1. accept the difference in brightness: it is real and part of
architecture.
2. wait until twilight or go early in the morning. This can also
nicely show the way the place is artificially lit. This is my
preferred solution.
3. Film does not offer much improvement over digital. When a tripod
is used and two or three exposures can be made they can be combined,
film or digital. However take care not to overdo.
4. My preferred solution when there is much time to spend: make a
drawing in stead of pictures. This can capture a very high dynamic
range :).
No, to be honest, when drawing in pen there are only two values: 1 or
0, so choices are made, but here it is me knowingly making choices,
and that is what one should do making pictures as well.

Iwert

ps: to me the pictures look very much ok. They look rather natural
and realistic.

Op 23-apr-09, om 12:25 heeft Bob Whitmire het volgende geschreven:

> I could be wrong, and probably am, but I don't think you can balance
> interior darkness and window light without flash. With apologies to
> AG, I don't think film would be much, if any, improvement over
> digital. There's just too much difference between room interior
> shadows and bright window light. If you can't take the gear inside to
> do serious architectural shooting, the best results are likely to be
> had on cloudy days when the blowout won't seem as bad, or by simply
> not trying to balance bright window light, and letting it go. Some
> problems,  I fear, do not have solutions that don't involve a lot of
> gear and time. <g>
>

> --Bob Whitmire
> www.bwp33.com
>

> On Apr 23, 2009, at 1:11 AM, SwissPace wrote:
>
>> Maybe as AG has been posting film has the latitude to suit this job
>> better, and I should leave my digital behind, but then how would I
>> take
>> such a shot, spot meter on the window and then the darkest part?
>
> --

PHL-OPENDEURDAG
25 APRIL 2009 van 10.00u tot 16.00u
Campus Elfde Linie
Campus Hasselt Centrum
Campus Diepenbeek
Omdat een bezoekje ter plaatse helpt bij een goede studiekeuze!
Meer info : http://www.phl.be

Benieuwd naar onze opleidingen?
Bekijk de verschillende opleidingsfilmpjes via
http://www.phl.be/opleidingsfilmpjes