Re: [OM] 90/2.0 vs 135/3.5 for distant landscape

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2.0 vs 135/3.5 for distant landscape
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:00:58 +0200
The four-thirds 50/2.0 Macro is supposed to be on par with the OM
Zuiko 50/2.0
in terms of relative performance, i.e. the final image. This means it
has twice the absolute
resolving power of the OM 50/2.0 Macro.

I love the strange design with the concave front element, a rare
design. It's built like a cheap toy
compared to the OM 90/2.0 though (its spiritual forebear).

We did some extensive testing comparing the OMZ 50/2.0 to the Canon
100mm f/2.8 Macro, and
both seemed pretty much on par, optically. Both are perfect. The
substantially deeper depth of field
on a DZ 50mm on four thirds is (unlike in most of my style of "normal
shots") actually very nice for Macro,
where one can never have too much DOF.

The DZ 50/2.0 is an excellent all-purpose lens, though manual focusing
is not great (focus
throw way to long).