Re: [OM] E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] E-30
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:34:59 +1100
I was concerned that this may have been me messing with the image and
matters of personal taste. I find your last two with recovered shadow
detail to be rather flat for my taste and I worried that I may have
been using the Lightroom slider for blacks a bit too enthusiastically
for yours. I do like to see real black in an image. The sun was
bright that day and these white trunks do look very pale in life.
I checked the original image and this is what the jpeg looks like
with no fiddling whatsoever - looks like I hardly touched it in the
previous.
http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/109309451
The detail on the trunk is there but is not very distinct in sunny
conditions - these trees shed to white or grey new bark. The detail
is also there in the shadows but on my Cinema display, your recovery
of the details behind the trunk looks very flat, grey and
underexposed. I may have gone too contrasty but I think you're too
far the other way.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx