Re: [OM] E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] E-30
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:21:21 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Indeed - and I do like the pick-up of detail on the trunk that you achieved.

Thanks

> One of the reasons for the bushfires is the relentless annual shedding of
> bark debris by these 'gums' and 'stringybarks' along with leaves and
> branches.

Along with the invisible cloud of highly inflammable oil that hovers
above them in heat and goes up, "WHOOMPH" when ignited. And what do you
mean annual? Around here, they shed all the time, including the
occasional widow maker branches. It's also hilly here and they are
sallow rooted, so whole trees fall as well. I had two fall into my yard
in 12 years in my last house.

> It creates a layer that restrains grass growth as well.

Oh yeah. I used to live under a bunch of them. One day, looking out
through them, I suddenly realized that there was never a single moment,
24/365 when there wasn't something falling from them - usually more than
one thing.

> The trees survive and the regrowth is swift - I must get some images of that
> over the next few weeks and months. It is remarkable to see.

Oh lordy yes. The one I posted a pic of being cut down across the street
was stump ground down below grade. It's already a good sized bush. Do
that to any other trees around here and it's over. Hard to kill, indeed.
As soon as it's dry again, I'm going to offer to use my chain saw on it
- as often as it takes.

Moose