Re: [OM] E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] E-30
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:38:34 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> I always suspect there must be some difference between our monitors but this
> can never be confirmed.

Leaving a little mystery in life. :-)

> Besides monitor calibration, I also follow dpreview's grey bar to make sure I
> can identify each grey block and having a deep black. At the mean time most
> of the sample images in dpreview look ok to me.

You mean the grey step bar on page one of the reviews? As my monitor is
adjusted, the far right step is the same black as the page background
and I can see the differences across all the other steps. And yes, their
samples generally look good to me. And I generally like the color in the
images you post, so maybe it is mostly taste.

Another thing I've mentioned before, but not in this context, is
relative sharpness of individual vision. The vision in my right eye is
20/10; I can resolve detail at 20 feet that 'normal' vision can't see
until only 10 feet away. Every once in a while, I notice how much less
sharp things are with my 20/20 left eye alone and think "Wow, so that's
how most people see the world, soft."

I see the world with more detail and sharper edges than average. That
may mean I process images so they look different than what other folks
may, attempting to duplicate the world as it looks to them. Particularly
true on this list, perhaps, as there are a lot of members with aging
vision, or so they report.

So perhaps my interest in seeing more detail in the trunk, sharper edges
in the stuff below it, etc., are related to differences in our vision?

The threads about focusing problems and viewfinder problems mostly seem
strange to me, as I almost never have a problem. I assume that's mostly
because I can more easily see focus in the viewfinder. When the AF in
the 5D misses slightly, I tend to just slightly move the central AF spot
and try again until the part I want is hit, reframe and shoot.
Sometimes, especially with the 90/2.8 macro and its easy, push-pull
AF/MF switching and nice focus action, I'll switch to MF.

Moose