Re: [OM] 420 deal

Subject: Re: [OM] 420 deal
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:33:42 -0500
At 11:04 AM 12/21/2008, Johnny wrote:

>The auto-focus on Canon DSLRs, and I suspect also for Olympus, does
>not use what I would call a feedback system.  The phase detection
>system takes one look, makes a calculation as to front or back focus
>and amount of focus error and then instructs the lens as to direction
>and amount to move to correct the error.  The focus isn't re-checked
>after the lens reacts to the initial instruction.  However, at least
>with Canon, the lens does have a closed loop where it verifies that
>the instructions from the body was accurately carried out.  If you
>have any references that indicate that Olympus does use a feedback
>system I'd be interested in reading them.

The one question I have in my mind is when I manually focus the
lens, I get focus confirmation in the sensors, which to me indicates
that the lens is periodically sampling Focus and can do some closed
loop AF or confirmation. Creating a piecewise system. But this is
only conjecture on my part.

Wayne