Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:16:37 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, WayneS wrote:

> Also the reason to have a responsive camera underwater with good low
> light capability. Since looking though a viewfinder is also not easy,
> the back panel LCD with live view would be great. One of the reasons
> I think todays digitals might be worth trying. If the micro 4/3rd's is decent
> that would be a perfect candidate to also use underwater.

Way back in the 80's when I was into UW photography my standard kit was
a Nikonos V with the massive SB102 flash.  It's a wonderful system and
even today it probably gives better results than most of the UW digital
stuff.  Focusing was simply pre-set and framing was very easy using the
little plastic frames that slid into the top of the camera.  Forget the
viewfinder, it's useless.  Even macro focusing is dead simple, use a macro
framer which is basically a bent square frame that sticks out and tells
you the plane of focus.  Here are some sample UW macros I took with the
Nikonos V using Kodachrome 64:

http://olympus.dementia.org/misc/uw_macro1.jpg
http://olympus.dementia.org/misc/uw_macro2.jpg
http://olympus.dementia.org/misc/uw_macro3.jpg

Some day I'll have to get back into this stuff.....
                                        -mark