Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:00:13 -0800

> I'd just like to explore some of the sub-tidal zone and estuaries along the
> Oregon coast, probably some lakes, and maybe a trip up to the San Juan
> Islands some day.
Darin, We lose divers here every year. A lot of problems are because of
strong tidal current in the best dive areas. Air runs low and the diver
surfaces cold and tired 2 miles from where they thought they were and
drifting faster than they can swim. So around here strong swimming skill
is a must. The estuaries on the OR coast or any coast for that matter
probably have very poor to nil visibility. Some of the spawning streams
on south OR coast might be good places to learn to snorkel. Inland the
water is shallow and warm and relatively clear. I found the crayfish fun
to watch.

Mike