[OM] Bags, a user report [was WTB: Zuiko OM glass (21/2, 18/3.5, 90/2)]

Subject: [OM] Bags, a user report [was WTB: Zuiko OM glass (21/2, 18/3.5, 90/2)]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:19:24 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
> I took a good look at the various "Trekkers" the other day.  Nice bags, but
> HEAVY.  You realize that an EMPTY bag weighs almost as much as my Canon 200EG
> is full?
>
> One thing I'll say about the 200EG.  I wasn't expecting it to be very good.
> These things are dirt-cheep.  But it has survived my typical abuse and has
> lasted through several major trips without even a scuff or loosened seam.
> It is starting to show some wear, and I'm starting to lose some confidence in
> the main zipper, but based on my experience with it, I'll probably just go
> and buy another one.  Come on, you can pick them up for $42 USD.

The 200g is a terrific bargain. I like it for transport. I'm not happy
trying to use  backpack as a working bag. Unlike event work, when I'm
photographing, I'm usually on the move, most often outside, often off
pavement. If a lens is on my back, it's not likely to be used, just too
much hassle.

For several years, I used a Lowe Photorunner as a working bag. It is
just the right size for an OM body with reasonable size zoom or mid tele
and two other lenses.. It works well as a waist pack and has a good
shoulder strap that doesn't slip and can be used with or without the
waist strap. The double zipper top opens WIDE and operates easily with
one hand.

It's too small for the 5D and Tammy 28-300. I used it for almost three
years with camera around my neck and the Photorunner holding some
combination of lenses and accessories. But I did want something that
could hold the whole kit inside.

I looked at several of the variations of sling packs. Then I got excited
about the new LowePro Flipside backpacks with waistband that open from
the in (toward body) side. One may spin them around to the front so they
hinge forward from the waist belt, open, mess about and close without
ever taking completely off. Even if laid down on the ground to open, the
"backwards" opening keeps the straps and part that goes on your back clean.

The excitement lasted just as far as the camera shop, where I tried
several packs on and did some fantasy role playing with myself. I
imagined various situations in which I shoot and tried using the bags. I
soon sadly concluded that, like the sling bags, this wasn't a solution.

Finally I decided to try something like what I've used successfully, the
Photorunner, but larger. It turns out that LowePro (No, I'm not brand
loyal, they just happen to make things that seem useful to me.) makes
big brothers to the Photorunner that I was unaware of. I have been for a
few months the owner/user of a Lowepro Inverse 200.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563908-REG/Lowepro_LP35236_PEU_Inverse_200_AW_Beltpack.html>

It's bigger, almost too big, but not quite. It allows for the extra size
and the extra weight of contents with a better padding and a much
better, sturdier waist belt. the top still opens WIDE and is quicker to
open, but requires two zipper pulls to close. It has stretchy, mesh
pockets on each end and slightly odd, but workable closed storage for
little bits and pieces.

I never did figure out how the straps that go around the Photorunner
were supposed to work, or even what they were for. The Inverse has
proper 'pod straps on the bottom. It's water resistant, and in a serious
situation, has a real waterproof overbag that pulls out of a little
compartment and slips over it.

Most important, I've used it several times on hours long wanders with
much photography - and it works pretty well for me. The perfect bag
doesn't exist, but this one makes me content for now.

Moose