[OM] Re: Photoshop Bridge / Camera RAW question

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop Bridge / Camera RAW question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:24:31 -0400
I've never attempted to use Bridge directly on a memory card.  I always
download to the hard drive first since I sometimes use Bridge and
sometimes (usually) use BreezeBrowser.  But I just did try Bridge
directly on a CF card containing only Canon raw files and noticed no
anomalies.

I don't know exactly what's happening but the implication is surely that
the image that doesn't offer Camera RAW as an option is because it's not
a raw file... despite what you think.  The proof of the pudding will
come in selecting the PhotoShop option.  If it's truly a raw file,
selecting PhotoShop will force initial opening in Camera RAW since
PhotoShop can't deal with a raw file by itself.  If it does open
directly into PhotoShop the file had to be a JPEG.  Of course using some
lower lever OS interface to do a complete directory listing on the card
showing file types will also show what's going on.

One possibility is that you have selected raw mode for output but may
have selected some other setting on the camera for selected shots that
is incompatible with raw.  I'm not familiar with Oly digitals but some
Canon digitals will not honor certain combinations of settings.  If you
put the camera in raw mode and then set it to some scene mode (like
portrait or night shooting mode) the camera will shoot only JPEG.  It
assumes if you're using those modes you probably don't know how to
handle a raw file and won't create one.

Another possibility might be that you have chosen raw+JPEG mode and then
erased an image but only got the raw file.  I don't know if that's
possible with the E-510 but just another thought for what might be going
awry.

Chuck Norcutt