[OM] Re: PhotoShop curiosity

Subject: [OM] Re: PhotoShop curiosity
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:25:31 -0700
John Hudson wrote:
> I am presently using PhotoShop version 6.0.1
>
> There is no upgrade entitlement except to version 7 [I think] and that would
> be a step backwards since there have been upgrades beyond version 7.
>
> Version 6.0.1 has limited 16 bit processing capabilities.
>
> Can anyone please give me a thumbnail sketch of the additional features
> found in PS version CS3
You are asking about the changes over four full version upgrades. There
have been many, many additions of use for photo editing, some immensely
powerful and/or time saving. I doubt anyone here will have all the
details at hand. And I don't know which ones would make a useful
difference for you. Comparisons like rowboat to cabin cruiser come to mind.

The healing brushes and the ShadowHighlight tool come to mind
immediately as major additions. There's photo filters, lens correction
filters, the surface blur filter, red eye correction. I know I'm missing
several that I think of as always there, but weren't in 6.

I don't agree with the rugged individualists who would rather chisel on
stone tablets than use anything from MS or Adobe. I have not found the
registration and 'phone home' things to be a problem. I know it's a
conspiracy to co-opt my freedom and individuality, but I like being
notified of updates and given the chance to install them.

Nor have I, personally, found The GIMP, the various $60-130 photo
editors or LightRoom to be nearly as powerful and useful as PS. I admit
I've not given them through workouts, nor spent lots of time working out
how to get around what I find to be their limitations. When I have tried
them, it's been too much like work.

As to price, I dunno. I use PS essentially every day. The thought of
doing all that work with a tool that I find frustrating to use, less
capable and slower for many tasks gives me the willies.

Are the prices fair? I dunno. They seem high to me, but I'm old enough
that most things seem over priced to me.
> and whether CS3 recognizes Olympus E510 / E3 RAW files.

Yes, it does. They came as part of an update I installed when CS3 phoned
home and told me it was available.

Moose