[OM] Re: Not a single comment?

Subject: [OM] Re: Not a single comment?
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:23:56 +0100
Chuck

Sorry, I deleted all those posts as I couldn't go and I didn't want to
feel deprived (:-)).  I have the day off today, my wife is engaged on
her computer doing a course and the builders have not arrived; so I
have time to dissect the gallery which you have kindly asked for
comments on.  Here are mine ...

I like the shots of yours with colour, as well as the ones with humour
or whimsy.  For some reason I didn't find as much interest in the mono
shots, well composed and lit as they are.  I suppose one reason might
have been something to degrade one or two of the mono shots: for
instance, 6946 has the rather smart "Memorial Promenade"lights and
walkway on the left, but the rather grotty (real life, I suppose)
fence on the other.  The smart and ambitious brought down to earth by
real life?  Well, perhaps, but that sort of shot could have done with
more made of the grotty in the composition.

A similar reluctance bears down on me when I see nice old brickwork
spoiled by a modern facade that could have been so much better.  This
applies to 6925 with the "man hanging by his fingertips".  The old
lettering and the style of architecture are rather ruined by the
columns and the colour of the frame of the shop on the ground floor.
The composition might have benefited from cutting out the cars and
other buildings on the left, but that's nitpicking after the shot is
taken, really.

No 6905 could be quite humorous: did the artist know what "cyst"
meant?  Is that his handle, and was he practising to get the size,
colour and "typeface" right as he wielded his tins of paint?

No 6907 looks nondescript to me and lets down your gallery.  I can't
see the focal point, and that horrid fence detracts from the colours
of the shop front.  But the next few, all the way to 6925, are
interestingly composed, nicely lit and full of colour, either gentle
or strong.  Most of the remainder are attractive shots, particularly
the "41" which is rather cleverly composed.  The photos of people in
restaurant mean nothing to the casual viewer because you haven't
placed them.  Who are they?  Did they ask to have their photos taken?

I'm no good at people shots, inasmuch as I fail to get them through
diffidence, but you should pepper your gallery with people.  You are a
good people photographer, after all, I suspect that you just need to
go and get them.  The restaurant ones don't really count ...

Chris

And the last photo is rather boring, Chuck