[OM] Re: digital lenses and manual focusing

Subject: [OM] Re: digital lenses and manual focusing
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:09:56 -0700
> From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> The auto focus and manual focusing mechanisms just do not seem to
> measure up
> when using the film cameras as a base against which to measure the
> results.

I'm really happy with the 12-60 manual focus. I never much cared for
"focus by wire" on the other E lenses, but (IMHO) they got it right on
the 12-60.

> What is really missed is the split image accuracy...

Personally, I never cared for split images. I find they distract from
composition, and too often enticed me to centre my composition. The
first thing I'd do with any OM body I got would be to put a matte grid
screen in it. Then I found my composition would come back.

> Also, when will the E cameras come out with a version that does away
> with
> the part second delay between pressing the exposure button and
> "exposing the
> film"? I've had a lot of disappointments caused by this delay.

I think they've done it in the E-3. I don't know much about your E-500
and E-510 machines, but comparing them to the E-3 is like comparing an
OM-G with an OM-4T. With the 12-60, focus and exposure seem nearly
instantaneous -- even more so in manual focus.

It seems unfair that you're comparing the flagship film product
(OM-4T) with a second-tier digital product (E-500/510). Try the E-3
with the 12-60. You'll like it.

:::: We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our
house for fuel when we should be using nature's inexhaustible sources
of energy - sun, wind and tide. I'd put my money on the sun and solar
energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil
and coal run out before we tackle that.
-- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
:::: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Item/80BF02>