[OM] Re: A couple of Velvia 50 birds

Subject: [OM] Re: A couple of Velvia 50 birds
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:58:59 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> Thanks for the samples and long explanations. Your method does not eliminate
> all the color fringe on the watch, there are still color fringe on the edges
> of all white characters. I know you can widen the color range to cover more
> area.

Perhaps I was too clever, trying to show two methods of painting the
effect. On the watch I did not apply the change to the whole image I
posted. I've changed it now to show the whole face, with correction
applied to the whole image.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/PurpleFringe/Watch.htm>
> I know about color selection tool and I avoid using it, it could selected
> some unwanted color if you are not careful.

I know what you mean about the Select=>Color Range tool. It can be
tricky. This is a different tool that works differently. It is sliders
in the Hue/Saturation Tool and only extends or restricts the color range
and the color feathering range . It cannot select colors outside a
continuous range.
> Desaturate the purple color is not an ideal way as the "inflected area" are
> not always just grey, black or
> white.

I agree, but it works well for this image. With another, the Hue slider
could be used to get the color in the right range, at least. I haven't
used it enough to know if that will work for most images.
> If I'm going to spend all these time
The one I just posted took less than a minute to do, with no individual
area touch-up at all. It may not be quite a 100% solution, but it is
quick and easy.
> to make a touch up I will just use brush to paint color. Sample the neighbor
> area color and paint on the
> affected area, I have 100% control on what is to be done. You know the color
> is right or not and you can even make more adjustment (lightness,
> coning...etc) if necessary.

That's the way for a very large, exhibition print. This technique seems
to me to be good for most other uses.

Moose