[OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and res

Subject: [OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and resolution
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:13:03 -0700
Just a point on Rockwell's superb Nikon lens, from a respected
independent reviewer of Nikon lenses:

"The replacement for the venerable f/1.8 lens was much smaller and
very compact, but unfortunately the optical quality is nowhere in the
league of its predecessor. In particular I found pictures taken with
the 85/2 to be dull and life-less, and images took on a greyish cast
as well. I'm aware of reports claiming this lens is an excellent
perfomer and am at a loss to explain this discrepancy in opinions
(I've tried several 85/2's and they all behaved in a similar manner."

It came out in 1977 which makes it a 31 year old manual focus lens
being focused on an AF camera the screen of which has no focusing aids.

As for the Canon lens, the EOS system was introduced in 1987. So even
if this lens was the first one to fit an EOS camera it is ten years
newer than the Nikon lens. Another dismal, sloppy mess of an article
from Mr. Rockwell.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA