[OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and res

Subject: [OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and resolution
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:23:18 +1000
And I should add that he is a rather decent curmudgeon as well.
I think the extract below draws in another recent thread as well.
No wonder people hate him.

And it works like this.
People go read him.
They get annoyed and tell their listbuddies.
Their friends go read him.
THey get annoyed.
Repeat.
The more hits he gets, the better for him.
So, he gets more outrageous.

Personally, I like his honesty. He does not pretend to be anything
other than deliberately provocative, ironic, iconoclastic and
opinionated. He is self-deprecating and even uses irony. He undercuts
his own pomposity frequently. He's having fun with his site and with
photography.
He makes pointed comments about lens fetishism, and then proves his
point by taking nice shots with an ancient box camera.
Anyone with a $2000 lens immediately tries to knock him down.
No wonder people hate him.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't Have Kids

I won't go here either. Kids today are an expensive luxury. It's not
200 years ago when we all lived on farms and needed them to help with
the milking.

Not only are they scaldingly expensive, they are the root cause of
all pollution and environmental destruction.

Think about it. Do you have any idea from where more people come for
whom we need more oil and for whom we need to bulldoze more virgin
landscapes to build tract homes for them to live and raise more kids?

Sure, my kid is special: it's not my kid, but everyone else's kids
that cause pollution, poverty, shortage and crowding. Think again.

Kids go far deeper than the thousands of disposable diapers each
consumes. The worst environmental crime any individual can commit is
making more people. Sure, my kid might cure cancer, but we are up to
something like 7 billion people on this planet and no one's kid has
cured it yet. My kid is far more likely to degrade your environment
and cause more cancer than he is ever likely to cure it. Isn't hope
grand?

Even more expensive than the monetary cost is that they consume any
time you ever thought you might have to better your personal and
professional development. They are far worse than watching TV.

Ever wonder why half the ads on TV are for baby stuff? Because half
our economy goes into paying for that baby stuff.