[OM] Re: Tripod tribulations

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod tribulations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:52:05 -0700
Darin wrote:
> .... Unfortunately, the 3021 Pro seems to have been discontinued. So, that
> would leave you with only
> the carbon fiber version at $312, which is only about 1lb. lighter and 2 lbs.
> more load capacity. Almost double the price for not that much benefit. Not my
> idea of a great cost/benefit trade off!

I know nothing about the specific models involved. My big Manfrotto is a
lot bigger and heavier and my lighter models are other brands.

However, keep in mind that the benefits of CF go beyond weight alone.
One very important one is resistance to vibration. My Hakuba CF is
"deader" than any metal tripod I've ever seen. I think it's even better
at damping vibration than hardwood. Certainly better than the one ooold
simple wooden one I have.

That can be a BIG deal in some situations.

Moose