[OM] Re: Tripod tribulations

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod tribulations
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:26:06 -0800
Chuck,
You may be referring to the Bogen 3021Pro tripod.  I have one, and the center
post can be removed to go horizontal.  There are two things that I don't like
about it.  1) The threading of the center column that screws into the portion
that the head attaches to is a fine thread.  It is a long bolt which takes a lot
of turns to attach/detach.  They should have used a coarser thread.  This is the
part that must be disconnected to switch from vertical to horizontal.  2) The
locking mechanism for the sections of the legs can do a very good job of
pinching you.

Having said that, I'd buy this tripod again, but in the carbon fiber version,
the 055MF3.  Cut the weight and reduce vibration.

I have the short column, it ain't worth it.  I bought a second "normal" column
so I could have a second upper portion to make it easy to swap heads.  So if you
want to quick change between heads, you'll need to buy a second center column so
add that into the pricing.

I have an Acratech (Ultimate, not the V2) ball head and a Bogen geared head.  I
am not a back packing type but I can tell you the 3021 tripod and the geared
head is something you don't want to be hefting around a lot.  I would imagine
that the 055MF3 with the Acratech would be sweet combo for weight.  But forget
that ball head for macro work.

Jay

usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> Well soon time to get serious and pick a new tripod. The current one
>> doesn't work that well with the Tamron 400+1.4 TC or the Celestron 750
>> CAT. The Velbon Ultramaxi is OK for travel. The recurrent shrinking leg
>> syndrome of the current one is no longer bearable. I suppose I may wish
>> to lug the new one on some trips. I realize the goals are somewhat
>> mutually exclusive. It will be used for macro a bunch. One list member
>> recentrly chose this guy:
>> http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Manfrotto-458B-NEOTEC-PRO-Photo-Tripod
>>
>> Was thinking of something like the Gitzo 2530 that replaced the 1259. I
>> think that was the one that RRS liked as a backpacking pod. Jeff had
>> mentioned that one before which got my attention.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475926-REG/Gitzo_GT2530_GT_2530_Mountainee
r_6X_Carbon.html

>> The 2530ex or 2540EX apparently go to ground level for macro:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475935-REG/Gitzo_GT2530EX_GT_2530EX_Explor
er_6X_Carbon.html

>> http://tinyurl.com/2su3cu
>>
>> in case it wrapped.
>>

>> The 2530LVL (head leveling) also is very interesting, though looks
>> primarily a distinct advantage for panos---I don't try that often,
>> though would like to try more. I have never used one, ever. ( I recall
>> Moose's caveat about buying a cam w/o holding it but never a tripod)
>> Perhaps the ability to go to ground level is not as critical with use
>> of the Cullman extension arm--though is something extra to carry:
>> http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2007-11/msg01989.html
>>
>> I would have an Acratech V2 on it though sometime in the future would
>> consider a gear head for macro. The V2 has been pleasant to use and
>> carry for travel---that's about 70% of all the shots I take due to time
>> constraints.
>>
>> I remember Jeff mentioning that the g. CF 1227 wasn't stiff enough for
>> the Z. 1000mm. Perhaps the CF ones really aren't that much better
>> damped than the metal ones.
>>
>> Any comments very much appreciated.  I don't wish to make an expensive
>> mistake.
>>
>> Mike

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets