[OM] Re: lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs captu

Subject: [OM] Re: lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs capture 1
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:26:24 +0100
Lightroom will do everything you list, and more, quickly and
efficiently. It is the only software I use these days, from the
initial RAW conversion to final output (web or print). Don't waste
your time testing a bunch of packages. They can all do those things,
but settle on one (I recommend Lightroom) and concentrate on learning
it well. And spend time shooting :-)

The software included with every digital camera I have ever owned has
sucked, and Olympus Master is no exception. The only reason I even
installed it is because it is needed to update the firmware on the
cameras and lenses.

Nathan

On 22-feb-2008, at 3:09, Alan wrote:

> There are a lot of different software packages out there and I'm
> trying to
> wade through them and figure out what I need and don't need. I briefly
> tried capture 1 (30 day trial) and lightroom (30 day trial) and oly
> master
> (came with camera) and for the life of me I cannot figure out what
> I need and
> why --
> --
> I envision that I would keep the images organized in a directory
> tree with
> raw+jpg output from the camera (if I do this what does lightroom
> grant me?).
>
> I envision that from time to time I will need to do a batch adjust
> to all
> images (wb is off or similar).
>
> I envision that from time to time I will want to do a batch
> downscale of
> selected images (for web output).
>
> I envision I will from time to time want to crop an image or adjust
> sharpness/noise reduction.
> --
> It seems like all the software can handle the above list. I realize
> that
> I would require lightzone or ps to (for example) layer an image and
> adjust
> contrast or curves in a small section of hte print (a corner that
> is too
> dark for example) - i think studio also allows this operation.
> --
> I guess the question is - will the free software (oly master) do
> 99.99% of
> what I need and generate the best output (raw conversion) with
> minimal effort
> or should I be seriously considering another package? (in using
> lightroom
> and capture I - i mostly try them for cropping/examining raws 1:1
> and similar.)
> I was unable to figure out how to have capture 1 or lightroom do batch
> processing (or oly master for that matter).
> -
> Obviously given that these package cost from $100 to $250 I'd like
> to avoid
> cruft. Then again if in the long run it will save me a lot of
> headache (and
> time) I'd like to pick the 'right' package the first time.
> --
> One advantage of oly studio is it will do distortion correction on
> oly lenses
> (then again one disadvantage is that it only works only oly raws).
> --
> Any comments/advice/suggestions?
> (I.e, do I gain anything using lightroom to organize photos that I
> do not get
> via a solid directory structures:
>
> photos -> may2008neverland -> web
>        -> june2009otherland -> web

> [...]