[OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list

Subject: [OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:25:49 -0800
Wayne Culberson wrote:
> Sorry to interrupt the interesting OT stuff :-), but I just would like to
> ask if anyone might know if my wish camera actually exists. I'm planning
> perhaps 3 trips to Bolivia in 2008, in March, perhaps April, and September.
> I'd really like to upgrade from the C5050, mostly to get rid of the awful
> shutter lag so that I could actually capture the picture when I want to.
>
> I handled the E510 yesterday for the first time. Its a really nice camera,
> for around here, but would never work for me in Bolivia. It would never
> survive the trip.
>
> Basically what I need/want is a C5050 with no shutter lag, a better screen
> you can actually see on a sunny day, and faster turn on time.

The camera that comes closest to meeting all your criteria is probably
the Canon S5 IS
> Should have (actually, must have):
>
> 1.  Takes AA's unless you can convince me there is a reliable alternative
> for about 2 weeks with no chance of recharging battery.

Yes. And you can get a solar recharger for AAs for $25 or less. Get
Sanyo eneloops and go on forever.
> 2. Flip out live screen for waist level (and lower, much lower... some of
> those people are short) shots and stealth shots.

Yes. Big bright and fairly high resolution. Much nicer than the 5050.
> 3.  Built in flash that doesn't pop up.

No. However, you could seal it closed with something like tape and/or
silicon caulk for the trip and carry a separate, small flash, as the S5
adds a hot shoe.
> 4. Rugged. And takes a metal shroud around the lens like the C5050 does.

The camera is largely plastic and I'm sure that the lens adapter/hood is
plastic as well, That said, the adapter on my A710 is pretty sturdy.
> Picture several kids pulling on the camera body to see their pic on the
> screen, while you're holding on to the camera by the lens. You can see why a
> E 510 would never survive.

So don't hold the lens, hold the body. Maybe get a pistol grip or side
grip and put it on when taking pictures of kids. The S5 has a much
deeper, better defined hand grip. Go to a store and try holding one
backwards in your left hand with the thumb where the fingers usually go.
> 5. Takes filters, for 81a conversion. We'll be at 13 to 14,000 feet in both
> march and April.

Yup. And given your description of conditions, I'd seal the hood.adapter
on the camera for the duration using something like silicone caulk to
seal the extending lens mechanism from dust.. I might even seal on the
81a filter.
> 6. Shouldn't be any bigger than a C5050, hopefully smaller, and hopefully
> metal construction.

A tiny bit bigger, and not metal, but quite well made. In return for the
size, you get a lot more zoom range. I know, maybe you don't need the
tele, but that's what comes with meeting the other criteria.

You may also be able to still find the ever so slightly smaller S3 new,
but the LCD and EVF are lower rez and the LCD smaller and no hot shoe. I
found the LCD and EVF impossible on the S3, myself.
> 7. Able to survive dust, lots of dust.

The S series is better made than the A series, and have a pretty good
rep for reliability, but who knows. Sealing the lens mechanism in the
hood/filter adapter should really help. 'Twere me, it would be in a zip
lock when not in use and I'd carry some thinner clear plastic bags that
I could punch a hole in to mount to the lens adapter with a rubber band
for use in the dust.

Well... further research turns up the Aquapac camera cases. I'd have to
do a little measuring research, but it looks like an S5 will fit the $40
size by itself, but I don't know about with the hood/adapter.

Again if it were me, I'd also be looking into finding or rigging up a
solar charger for the Oly 770 or 790 SW. A super rugged, water and dust
proof camera with internal zoom action. So one could simply stick a gel
81a filter over the lens cover.

Unfortunately, Oly's documentation, like pretty much everyones' for
these digis, is very limited. So there isan adapter to power the camera
externally, but it doesn't say whether that will also charge the battery
in it. If so, solar recharging should be easy. If not, one would
probably have to sacrifice a charger to get a solid way to attach the
battery to the solar input.

Moose