[OM] Camera for Bolivia [was Christmas camera wish list]

Subject: [OM] Camera for Bolivia [was Christmas camera wish list]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:28:58 -0800
Wayne Culberson wrote:
>> The camera that comes closest to meeting all your criteria is probably
>> the Canon S5 IS
>>
> The Canon S5 sounds like it might work for me, despite it not meeting a
> couple of the criteria.
>
> I've been reading this morning the review on the Olympus SP560UZ, posted
> yesterday.
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp560uz/

In my reading of what you said about your criteria and the order in
which they were presented, I thought AA batteries and flip and twist LCD
screen were non-negotiable. The 560uz LCD screen doesn't move, so it
wasn't considered.

If you are willing to relax that criterion, there are also other cameras
that might fit. There are at least a couple that feature a mode that
alters the LCD display for better viewing when held overhead. I suppose
they could be used upside down to get the same effect from below. Still,
nothing like twist and tilt.
> I've been trying to convince myself to stick with Olympus, to make the
> transition easier, but I think this camera is going to still be too slow for
> me. I don't need the 18x zoom, and I think that along with the XD card only
> will make the camera to slow for me.

Hard to say. The 560 is in most important aspects much faster than the
5050, so it would be an improvement. However, the S5 is in most areas
twice again as fast as the 560 - so up to four times as fast as the
5050. The S5 will feel instantaneous next to the 5050.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

                                                                    S5
IS      560UZ      C-5050
Action    Details
     Time, secs
Power: Off to Record
1.2        2.7        5.1
Power: Off to Play        Image displayed
1.1        2.8        3.9
Power: Record to Off      Lens retracted and all activity ceased
1.4        2.6        3.6
Power: Play to Off        When buffer is empty
0        ~0.2        1.8
Record Review             Image displayed                           ~
0.3       ~0.8
Mode: Record to Play
1.4       ~1.2        2.3
Mode: Play to Record      Lens already extended                     ~
0.9        0.6        1.3
Play: Magnify             To full magnification (10x)
0.9        1          0.6
Play: Image to Image      Time to display each saved image          ~
0.4       ~0.4
Play: Thumbnail view      3 x 3 thumbnails
0.6       ~0.6        0.6

Zoom from Wide to Tele    36 to 432 mm (12 x) full speed
0.9        2.4        2.2
Zoom from Wide to Tele    36 to 432 mm (12 x) low speed
2.6
Half-press Lag (0->S1)    Wide angle                                ~
0.25      ~0.8        0.6 - 1.1
Half-press Lag (0->S1)    Telephoto                                 ~
0.5       ~0.8-1.5    0.7 - 1.3
Half to Full-press Lag (S1->S2)    LCD live view                    ~
0.08      ~0.2        0.1
Half to Full-press Lag (S1->S2)    Electronic Viewfinder            ~
0.1       ~0.2        0.1
Full-press Lag (0->S2)    LCD live view, wide angle                 ~
0.45      ~1.1        0.7 - 0.9
Off to Shot Taken    LCD live view
1.7       ~3.3        5.9
Shot to Shot    Flash off
1.7       ~2.4-2.9    2.4
Shot to Shot    Flash on (red-eye reduction off) *4
2          2.5
Shot to Shot    Flash on (red-eye reduction on) *4
2         ~6.0

I did the above table because when I started looking at the timings on
dpreview, it brought home to me something I hadn't really been aware of
- the Oly is really slow compared to the competition. Thanks for the
heads up.

Oly's insistence on sticking with the xD cards is mysterious to me.

Moose