[OM] Re: Camera for Bolivia [was Christmas camera wish list]

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera for Bolivia [was Christmas camera wish list]
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:16:41 -0400

Moose wrote

> In my reading of what you said about your criteria and the order in
> which they were presented, I thought AA batteries and flip and twist LCD
> screen were non-negotiable. The 560uz LCD screen doesn't move, so it
> wasn't considered.

I didn't write the criteria in any particular order, but yes, the LCD screen
not moving is a serious loss to me. However, I think it was Winsor who noted
that some of the screens are now viewable from angles, so maybe it would
work.

If there is a non-negotiable in the criteria, it is to get rid of the slow
turn-on time and especially the shutter lag. I think the Olympus 560UZ
compromises that, and with the 18x zoom and focus time, I don't think it
would be satisfactory for me.

 About the only thing that scares me off the Canon is the learning curve on
the different menus. I hate menus anyways,especially with 5 to 10 pushes of
the buttons, and Olympus seems to have kept the 560UZ with lots of that too.
My son, who shoots a Canon 20D and 30D is trying to get me to take his 20D
to Bolivia. It works for him  http://www.danculberson.com/

> If you are willing to relax that criterion, there are also other cameras
> that might fit.

Might be interested. Looks like I have to compromise somewhere, or maybe try
rethinking the whole thing.

> Hard to say. The 560 is in most important aspects much faster than the
> 5050, so it would be an improvement.

I wish there was some way to actually try them hands on.

>However, the S5 is in most areas
> twice again as fast as the 560 - so up to four times as fast as the
> 5050. The S5 will feel instantaneous next to the 5050.

The speed is what appeals to me.

> Oly's insistence on sticking with the xD cards is mysterious to me.

I wish they'd move away from that as well. XD cards always were too tiny to
handle anyways, and I use mostly CF in the 5050.

> Moose

Wayne