[OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop

Subject: [OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:43:53 -0800
Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Is there a Vista user in the house?

Yes, oddly enough, and a content one, at that. But only one anecdotal
instance.

And I don't want to be seen as an appologist, let alone a shill for
Vista. I'm just reporting my personal experience.

As I posted yesterday, I did have some driver issues, all of which are
resolved. The only thing that won't work, out of all the apps I had,
going back to DOS in a couple of instances, is the OCR software that
came bundled with my scanner. There is no free upgrade to Vista
compatibility, although one may pay for an upgrade.

Other than that, everything works and it has been more stable than XP
was. As to some of the specific questions and complaints in this thread:

Classic Windoze appearance options are available at the cost of a couple
of mouse clicks. I have no idea why rounded windows would bother
anybody. I am more concerned with what happens within the windows, but
in any case, you have several choices. You can make it look like 98,
maybe even 95, I just don't remember what it looked like.

I know nothing about Apple OSs. I do know that boot time for all MS OSs,
including DOS, get longer as more apps are installed and gratuitously
install stuff that starts up at boot-up. Even big time developers who
should know better, and Apple apps for Windoze are among the worst,
litter the start-up process and RAM with processes that assume you are
using your computer always and only for them - and want continuous
monitoring to assure there is no delay when they may be of service. All
fine and good, I suppose, until you get a whole bunch of apps making the
same assumption.

Bloody QuickTime installs various shortcut icons and a start-up monitor
app every time I install an upgrade. And iTunes? One of the nicest
things about the new machine and the fact my younger son had moved out
is that I no longer have that virus-like monster installed. But Apple
wants to install it every time there is an upgrade to QuickTime.
Arrogant Bas$#^@%s.

When I first started up the new box with Vista, it booted astonishingly
fast. Now, its reasonably fast, a minute or two?, I don't really pay
attention unless it gets slower than that. Then I run msconfig.exe and
unclick all the new junk that has been added to the start-up. Some stuff
is just a price I pay for multiple functions. The SCSI card takes
several seconds to boot, search for and connect to the film scanner, for
example. Hard to blame that on MS.

As Chuck says, anybody with 12+ minute boot times has serious hardware
or software issues that aren't directly Vista related. Perhaps a driver
hangs for a long time trying to connect to its target?

CS2, like all previous incarnations of PS, leaks memory. If I have been
doing heavy duty manipulation of big ( like 4-500 mb) files or merging
large images into panoramas, switching to other apps or things like
opening a file dialog may take several seconds. Otherwise, simple
actions like taht are very quick. Closing and reopening PS fixes the
immediate problem. I really think that is more an Adobe than Windoze issue.

Garth, what have you been smoking? Regular Vista doesn't open up
"larger-than-4-Gigabyte RAM address space". Only 64 Vista with an
appropriate processor does that - and then many 32 bit apps won't run.
32 bit Vista has the same address space and issues as XP. Actually using
more than about 3.2 of your 4gb of memory with either requires the
addition of memory swapping software. And I couldn't found anybody with
much good to say about that solution.

You are aware of the boot switch you have to set to use maximim memory
under XP or Vista? Otherwise, only 2gb is available to apps.

As far as I can see, Vista is just XP with some added functions and some
pretty gee-gaws you may turn off if you don't like them. Except they
dropped the print to fax in the home editions. IF it is "pathetically
slow and getting slower", something is wrong with the hardware, the
install,a virus or a badly behaving app. Even MS wouldn't release
something that bad.
--------
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> I wouldn't be so sure...  While I have no first hand experience, I
>> have a couple of friends who run Vista.  One is very
>> computer-savvy, while the other is less so.  Both despise it and
>> are saying that the boot times have been steadily increasing and
>> are now at 12-15 minutes
>> to boot reasonably new hardware.
>>

> I agree. Vista is a disaster. Three out of three machines I'm
> unfortunately familiar with are all dogging down and gettins worse.
>
> It is amazing.  I've never seen anything like it before.  One week
> your printers work, the next week they don't.
Again, not my experience. I have an HP LaserJet and Epson 1270 and
R1800. And because of space constraints, I often have the 1270
disconnected. I've never had any trouble with any of them. Even haul the
1270 in from another room where it was sitting for a couple of weeks,
plug it into power and a USB port, turn it on and print. Yeah, even the
inks hadn't dried out this time, but if they had, it wouldn't have been
Vista's fault.

Maybe you have a Vista-Karma problem. :-)
> The ONLY thing that happened is the automatic update.
I run auto update in the mode where I review patches before they are
installed. But I have actually accepted all but one from the video board
maker after I let it install and it screwed up the video. Had to
reinstall the old driver. But to date, six months, I haven't rejected an
update from MS, nor had anything go wrong. And again, ATI's fault, not
Vista's
> And I won't even mention the disaster of dual-monitor support. :(
Is that Vista, or the video hardware/driver? My ATI does dial monitor
easily with no hitches.
> Or the fact the computer will just go to sleep on you for 30 seconds once
> you've run the Media Player.

Again, not here. You may, of course, use another media player for most
things, but it is the only way to download audio to our 'phone/MP3
players, so we use it quite a bit. Acts just like other well behaved
apps except for the lack of a close button. I guess it really hates
rejection.  :-)   Alt-4 takes care of that.
> Shall I go on?
Not on my account, thank you.

Moose