[OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop

Subject: [OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:54:06 +0100
Hi Jez,

Back in the Netherlands, I have my 4-year old Windows XP desktop as
my primary computer, and certainly many of the advantages of a
desktop that people have cited apply. During those 4 years I have
added a second internal hard disc, upgraded the memory etc.

At the same time, since April 2006 I have had a Powerbook G4 as my
laptop. I added memory to it to bring it up to 1.25 GB, and even
though it is nominally slower than my Windows machine, in practical
use (Lightroom, Office, Photoshop etc.) it is just as fast. Since I
moved to Spain 6 weeks ago it has been my only computer, and I have
added an external keyboard and a 20" Apple Cinema display. Based on
my experience with this setup, I am no longer sure whether my next
main computer will be a desktop or one of the latest Apple laptops. I
suppose that if you have a satisfactory laptop already, getting a
desktop makes more sense.

Regarding OS: I have been a DOS/Windows user since the original IBM
PC in the early 80s. I am used to dealing with problems and issues. A
couple of weeks ago I was visiting a friend in Copenhagen and tried
to help her set up some stuff on her new Vista laptop. It was
horrible!!! If you have a way to get a computer with XP Pro instead
of Vista, do that. I think Vista is the worst operating system
Microsoft has released since Windows 3.1.

Nathan

On 15-nov-2007, at 18:40, Jez Cunningham wrote:

> Agreed - if I were to consider a laptop I'd still add an external
> screen.
> So what are the pros for a laptop?
> Jez
>
> On Nov 15, 2007 6:12 PM, Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>