[OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop

Subject: [OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:42:18 -0500
Very similar specs to the XPS 410 I bought earlier this year sans
monitor.  I love the machine.  Very fast and very quiet.  The only
problem has been no parallel port to plug in my laser printer.  I
haven't decided whether to add one or just go buy a cheap new printer
(the subject of some OT chatter here a couple weeks ago).

I specifically bought this machine out of the bargain bin to get a
machine with XP installed.  It replaced my Win2000 machine which was
finally getting stable enough that it was almost ready for prime time.
The XP machine is much less stable than the Win2000 machine was so I
don't anticipate moving to Vista for another 5-7 years or whenever MS
drops XP support.

I've used a number of laptops and even carried one from time to time on
business but I've never owned one.  I don't think I'd like using one on
a regular basis even with desktop peripherals.  I do plan to buy one
next year and probably something rather cheap.  My wife and I are
planning a round the country driving trip for the late summer and fall
and I'll need something for photo backup (probably DVD's) and maybe a
bit of email contact.  I'm guessing the trip might take a month and my
15 GB of CF card capacity will be woefully inadequate.

Chuck Norcutt