[OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop

Subject: [OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:18:09 -0800
The 24" Dell displays seem to be quite a bit nicer than the 22" Dell
displays. I've worked with three of the 24" displays and been quite
happy with them . I've worked with one of the 22" displays and found
it much more sensitive to viewing angle. I also work with a 24" HP
display and find it to be equivalent to the Dell (haven't compared
them side by side).

I also use an employer provided IBM T60p laptop. Although it is surely
made by Lenova, it is labeled IBM. The display is better than the
previous IBM laptop but the colors aren't nearly as good as the large
Dell LCDs. It seems like most of the people at work have irritating
hardware/software incompatibilities with the T60p. A typical problem
is that when the machine is undocked, if you let it go to sleep, it is
nearly impossible to get the built in display to turn back on.

The laptop has plenty of power. USB or eSATA drives are likely to be
used for backup. However, the desktops are cheaper and more reliable
in my experience.

-jeff