[OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop

Subject: [OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop
From: "Matthew Granger" <matthewcharlesgranger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:44:30 +1100
Unless you will definitely want to take it around with you, i'd go for the
desktop. I just assembled a desktop replacing my old laptop and it was dead
easy and cheap. And HDDs are so cheap now, you can get monster storage for a
desktop. I got 2 * 320bg HDDs for mine for like AUS$90 each.

For monitors, get them calibrated and most will be fine for photo editing.
And I would avoid Dell at all costs.

matt

On 16/11/2007, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, I am a Mac guy and you aren't. So while I would point you to the
> Apple store because I know them a little, it would probably not be
> what you want. The problems of learning Mac OS may not be any worse
> than Vista though. The NEC 20 inch display has been a first choice in
> that size for several years by MacWorld magazine. Cheap and good.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA
>

> On / November 15, 2007 CE, at 11:14 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
>

> > Oh Winsor - I'm surprised to hear your remarks about the power of that
> > desktop configuration.  I'd be very interested if you could point me
> > anything laptop-ish of comparable/better performance at a price that
> > would
> > allow me to add a decent 2nd monitor.  I do like the idea of having
> > a second
> > screen for the palettes.
> > cheers
> > Jez

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Matt
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin 1809 - 1882