[OM] Re: How Big Can You Print

Subject: [OM] Re: How Big Can You Print
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:44:43 -0700
On 10/23/07, Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > ... One may
> >expect that 3-4 feet is the expected viewing distance, but people
> >don't pay attention to expectations. Really, I suspect they approach
> >it as closely as they can to get something more out of it and then
> >they back up to take in the whole. I tend to do that myself and am
> >pleased with a lot of fine resolution up close.
>
> My viewing habits are (I think) similar to yours Winsor.  I'm first
> attracted by the subject/composition but after that I like to see
> fine details that "tickle" my eyes and draw me up close to examine
> them.  If the fine details aren't there I feel that I haven't had a
> complete viewing experience - you might even say that I feel cheated
> in a way or at least disappointed.  With my current camera I can
> print 13"x19" at ~240 ppi but I sure would like to try larger prints
> at a higher density.  But, I'm a landscape type person and could care
> less about people pictures where too many details can certainly be a bad
> thing.

Say 30" by 40" is 1200 sq in and you want 300 dpi so 9,000 dots
per sq in. Need over to 100 megapixels. No digital camera can
get there, I doubt 35 mm can and am not sure for medium format.
Break out the view camera!

Or start stitching multiple digital shots together. 10 Mp camera
less maybe half for overlap; maybe a 24-shot pano?

There's a moderately priced robotic camera handler, roughly the
size of a view camera but maybe heavier, plus open source
software for that at http://www.gigapan.org/  Should work well for
landscapes, though not for anything that moves much.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China