[OM] Re: How Big Can You Print

Subject: [OM] Re: How Big Can You Print
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:25:47 -0400
At 08:53 PM 10/23/2007, Winsor Crosby wrote:

>Certainly I don't feel qualified to disagree. It does seem to that
>the greatest "argh" producing behavior is people putting their hands
>on fine prints and staining them.  They have to be close to do that
>and one reason unprotected art is roped off in museums. One may
>expect that 3-4 feet is the expected viewing distance, but people
>don't pay attention to expectations. Really, I suspect they approach
>it as closely as they can to get something more out of it and then
>they back up to take in the whole. I tend to do that myself and am
>pleased with a lot of fine resolution up close.

My viewing habits are (I think) similar to yours Winsor.  I'm first
attracted by the subject/composition but after that I like to see
fine details that "tickle" my eyes and draw me up close to examine
them.  If the fine details aren't there I feel that I haven't had a
complete viewing experience - you might even say that I feel cheated
in a way or at least disappointed.  With my current camera I can
print 13"x19" at ~240 ppi but I sure would like to try larger prints
at a higher density.  But, I'm a landscape type person and could care
less about people pictures where too many details can certainly be a bad thing.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA