[OM] Re: E-3 announcement

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 announcement
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:33:41 -0700

Leandro DUTRA wrote:
> Other makers welcome lenses makers — not other body makers.

Really? Kodak has made bodies for both Canon and Nikon mounts. Fuji has
made a number of bodies and just recently released the S5 Pro using a
Nikon mount.

And as far as open goes on the lens end of things - you probably can't
beat Pentax - the new Pentax digis us virtually all of the old Pentax
bayonet mount lenses - that is a LOT of legacy lenses from a LOT of makers!

Ultimately it depends on what you mean by "open standard"  I don't
believe that the 4/3 is anymore open than Canon or Nikon other than they
just license it to a few more builders.

While I love my OMs - the camera is ultimately still just a tool, pick
the one that is the most suitable for the job. I went Nikon for a number
of reasons. If Olympus ever really delivers on their claims of a lighter
and smaller system, combine it with good durability and deliver a
compact zoom that covers the range of focal lengths I prefer I would
probably pick one up for climbing, but as it is nobody (Olympus
included) has done so. For my digital shooting the Nikon is working
great, for climbing I still shoot film, either with the XA or the OM-4ti

I suppose I am just not that loyal. I really wanted to like the E
system, but so far they just have not come up with a camera that trips
my trigger. I like a number of features from individual bodies, but none
has (so far) the combination of handling, viewfinder, and features I
want. Lenses are a whole other issue that I won't get into at this point!

Jim Couch