[OM] Re: E-3 announcement

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 announcement
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 18:17:39 -0700

Leandro DUTRA wrote:
> As I said, there is a difference between special agreements and an
> open standard.

How is the 4/3 an open standard? I think this is the cause of a lot of
confusion here. Let's get this clarified. While I know that Olympus and
it's partners have promoted it as open, I would say it is not even
close. From the 4/3 website:

"*     "Details of the Four Thirds System standard are available to
camera equipment manufacturers and industry organizations on an NDA
basis. Full specifications cannot be provided to individuals or other
educational/research entities." NDA=Non Disclosure Agreement"

Sounds pretty closed to me. If it were really an open standard you or I
could access the information (and given enough resources) manufacture
our own 4/3 system component, but that is not the case. Furthermore the
4/3 system is protected by U.S. Patent 6,910,814. Again, this does not
seem very open to me.

Olympus is working with a number of "partners" (their terminology BTW)
but I fail to see how this is really any different than
Kodak/Fuji/Nikon/Tamron/Sigma/Tokina all manufacturing equipment for
Nikon lens mounts for example. Olympus simply has made agreements with
more partners.

>> And as far as open goes on the lens end of things - you probably can't
>> beat Pentax - the new Pentax digis us virtually all of the old Pentax
>> bayonet mount lenses - that is a LOT of legacy lenses from a LOT of makers!
>>

> Heard of that, sure is commendable.  But they are still big, heavy
> legacy lenses.

Many of them are, but have you seen the Pentax pancake primes? Puts
Olympus to shame on the compact lens thing!

>> If Olympus ever really delivers on their claims of a lighter
>> and smaller system, combine it with good durability and deliver a
>> compact zoom that covers the range of focal lengths I prefer I would
>> probably pick one up for climbing, but as it is nobody (Olympus
>> included) has done so.
>>

> Isn't E-410 light enough for you?  Or do you want it sealed?  Or is
> the problems lenses?

The 410 is getting close, but has a number of faults in my mind,
chiefly, yes lens selection, but also poor viewfinder, slow startup, and
I am not confident it is all that rugged. As for weight and size, there
is no real issue there - it is right in there with the OM. The lenses
kind of spoil the weight and size thing though.  All in all it is just
not what I am looking for. It also was about a year to late. By that I
mean that by the time the e-410 had come out I had already purchased a
used D70.

Jim Couch