[OM] Re: E-3 announcement

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 announcement
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:37:40 -0500
> I can't imagine Olympus coming out with anything other than a four
> thirds sensor.
Agreed.

1. A 10Mp E-xxx does pretty much whatever a 35mm film camera could do.
2. There is less incentive to go full frame now thann there was 4 years ago.
3. N*kon probably doesn't want to leave any C*non unchallenged.
4. Olympus won't try to build multiple systems. They will keep slowly adding
to what they have.
 All of these points have varying degrees of validity. While I agree with 3
and 4, I certainly don't agree with 1 and 2, but guess what, it doesn't
matter!

We all approach this from the point of professional or extremely
enthusiastic hobbiests. We need to look at this as if we were marketing
professionals. The hard facts are that people are slaves to counting
megapixels. When a 10MP camera sits on the shelf at Best Buy flanked with
12MP cameras, it will sit and they will walk out. When people read on DP
Reviewthat the 4/3 sensor has smaller, and therefore visably noiser pixels,
same story. Things just aren't looking good for Oly. For a minute or so, it
looked like they were about to overcome the disadvantages of the smallest
sensor, but they just can't catch up.

Fortunately, I don't need to jump to a DSLR today. I think that we will see
some more good stuff to follow the recent Canon and Nikon announcements.
Let's all think about what the 6D will be. The FF Sony. (the incentive to go
FF isn't there for those of you that use predominantly longer lenses. For
those that use mostly wides, the super short lenses for the APS sensor
cameras are too prone to distortion.) Perhaps by next summer........

Bill Pearce