[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:24:49 -0600
Bill Pearce wrote:
>> You can eat your own lunch, or you can watch in shock and dismay while
>> someone else eats it for you.  I've had enough of the latter for several
>> lifetimes, thanks, and I've also discovered that there is no Door Number
>> Three.
>>
> And yet you encourage others to do the same to you again and again and
> again. Did you make each time more than before? It isn't that way for most
> people. When an otherwise employeed hobbiest takes work from a, for a close
> to home example, a man and his son, how does that make our society a better
> place for all?

Following that argument to its logical conclusion, I shouldn't be
re-modeling my own ensuite, because I'm taking work away from some
contractor (who could probably also do a better job).  Yet I do it.
Should I not be allowed?

And no, there was no "pattern" to how well I did each time.  But I've
seldom been bored.  ;-)

And who says I'm employed?  Certainly not in any conventional sense of
the term.  I haven't been "employed" like that since 1993.

Finally, I wasn't aware that I was supposed to refrain from expressing
my talents, skills and abilities to the fullest I'm able simply because,
by doing so, someone else might be disadvantaged by it and society might
end up being a worse place for all.  I always thought I was supposed to
do my best for myself, you do your best for yourself, and society
progresses (if you believe in society's "telos") in the mix.  Why am I
supposed to do the best for myself?  Because I can't know ahead of time
that my actions might also interfere with someone else's livelihood.
Really, if I wanted to pursue a course of life that never had any
possibility of wrecking someone else's, the logical thing to do would be
to shoot myself.  (Substitute "hang," "poison," "jump off a cliff," or
anything else that you'd prefer.)

I'm not ready to do that.  At least, not yet.  And whether I like it or
not, there's always someone who wants to eat my lunch.  Thus whether I
like it or not is irrelevant.  I've simply decided that *I'd* rather eat
my lunch.

Garth