[OM] Re: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture without a camera
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 03:47:42 -0500
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Art is apparently what influential people say it is and if you
> have a different reaction, well, then you are just a dull witted
> clod.

Well, I'm not feeling like a dull-witted clod yet :-), but I'm not
quite rounding the bend on the distinction you and Andrew are
making. It's kind of sounding like pr0n -- "I can't define it, but I
know it if I see it."

When do you believe craft become art? What separates Monroy from
anyone else (even one of us :-o) taking a more-or-less documentary
photograph of a transit station? What separates movies like "Toy
Story" or "Shrek" from /tours de force/ in computer-generated
animation into stories people love to watch despite the fact that
the movies do not exist outside of a hard drive -- much more so than
other attempts at CGA (cf. "Monster House"
(http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/monsterhouse/site/)? Why is it
we call the men and women who pen comic strips "artists", and what
is it that separates Peanuts or TinTin from admittedly-poorly-drawn
strips like Dilbert or Diesel Sweeties
(http://www.comics.com/comics/diesel/index.html)?

I'm having difficulty understanding what elevates some work into art
or what should prevent the elevation of other work into art. Or is
it, as you said, "what[ever] influential people say it is"?

Steve