[OM] Re: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture without a camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:44:07 -0700
But can we even tell?  Mahler was "discovered" in the 60's after
being played repeatedly by his influential friend Bruno Walter. To
contemporaries only a couple of the Bach kids were decent composers,
certainly not the old organist who fathered them. The music
Shostakovich has acquired much artisitic merit since the fall of the
Soviet Union.  Norman Rockwell, for goodness sake,  is in the process
of being elevated to the level of art. I started to say canonized. I
think the transition from illustrator to art has already happened for
Rockwell Kent and Maxfield Parrish. After trying and failing for many
years to "get" abstract expressionism, the major art movement of my
lifetime, it is with a certain self justified relief that it has
fallen out of favor and now there are even critics who have called it
merely a marketing scheme to make NYC the economic center of the
world art market. Art is apparently what influential people say it is
and if you have a different reaction, well, then you are just a dull
witted clod.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA