[OM] Re: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture without a camera
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:00:19 +1000
I care.
Craft is about the need to surround yourself with beautiful objects,
the need to strive for excellence (Aristotle) in the production of
those artifacts. Crafts may well be artistic to the point of pure art
and some art is used to merely decorate. A boss of mine once bought a
painting because it was the same width as the side table over which
it would hang. He bought craft, not art, whatever it was in itself.
'Art as art' rather than 'art as artifact' needs something more and
greater than craft. It's not lacking in purpose or usefulness of
course but that is not the prime objective of a work of art.  Even if
I were to hang my hat and coat on a fine sculpture, that would not
turn it into a well made coat rack. It would still be a sculpture
primarily and I a phillistine.
Craft is merely clever or skillful, art transcends that. It's the
difference between a piece of enjoyable, formula fiction and a work
of literature, for instance.
Good craft is always well made and attractive.
Good art can be neither of those things.
In looking at that Photoshop creation of the station one is first
struck by the immense skill involved and the effort required. And it
follows rules of art in terms of composition, etc. But it's not enough.
Picasso could and did create a work with three brush strokes in
thirty seconds or less, so time and effort are not the criteria
required. Oh, except for the time and effort in developing a talent
to that point.

It is clever, it is beautifully executed, it is attractive, if I was
an advertising account manager with a specific graphic need I hire
him in a heartbeat but it's craft, a graphic, not a work of art.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx