[OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins in jar . . .
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:25:18 -0400
Zounds and Gadzooks! Agreed! I bought the E-510 with the 2-lens kit.
I have shot a few frames with the kit lenses, and I can say they do a
right good job of capturing what they're pointed at. My plan for them
ultimately is to replace the C-5060 digicam I use for happy snappies
once I settle in with a new pro system, be it Oly or some other
manufacturer. The 510+2 will be a bit bulkier than the C-5060, but
the image quality should significantly enhance vacation pictures, at
which I am notoriously lousy. I'll need a slightly larger bag, but
surprisingly, not _that_ much larger.

All of which is to say, no one should feel stifled or stiffed by the
lenses that come with the 510 kit. They will do the job more than
adequately. Folks looking for heavier hitters should spring the
bigger bucks for what they need, but shouldn't knock the kit lenses
for not living up to the standards of lenses costing many times as
much. Frankly, I think Oly buyers are damned lucky to get such good
quality for such little money.

--Bob