[OM] Re: White on White - a big thanks to Bob Whitmire

Subject: [OM] Re: White on White - a big thanks to Bob Whitmire
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 07:45:05 -0400
On Jun 5, 2007, at 8:45 PM, Moose wrote:
> Not only is the print a beauty, even the stamps on the envelope are
> art

That would be my postmaster. He delights in running a very small
office where machine cancellation and paper tape have not yet
banished creative stamping of envelopes and parcels. Of course I
never see what he does. I pay the money, the mail goes in a pile, and
on down moments he pulls out the stamp assortment and works his
magic. I've had a number of notes from people thanking me for the
gorgeous stamping job on things I've sent, and I wish I could take
credit, but I can't. Just one of the perks of living in a very small
town.

And thank you for the kind words about the print. It's true that
paper looks so much better than the web. And is much more of a
pleasure to produce, too. Sales of this particular image are starting
to pick up. I've noticed that with new prints, very small ones, 3.5x5
matted to 5x7 sell first, followed eventually by 7x10s matted to
11x14. And then the larger sizes. The print I sent you is that
special size Ithat captures exactly the full frame of the E-1. The
7x10 matted to 11x14, and the 11x15 matted to 16x20, are much more
narrow than the 10x13, and I'm not sure I like them as much. If I
could find a supplier for 15x18 plastic sleeves, I'd be inclined to
sell the 4/3s prints in their full frame rather than cropped. At
16x20 matted to 20x24 or larger, the cropping isn't so dramatic. That
particular print really shows nicely at true 16x20.

I don't think the advantages of the 4/3s system really shine until
you print full frame. Which may be one of the reasons I'm reluctant
to bid adieu to Olympus.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com