[OM] Re: Stolen images for sale on eBay

Subject: [OM] Re: Stolen images for sale on eBay
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:15:44 +0800
I think I misses out on some details in my explanation...

I guess if I own a Ferrari, I would surely have the right insurance and
security alarm system installed in the first place or at least to the best
of my knowledge. In the online photo site world, that would be similiar to
taking all the necessary precautions before posting. And I like to believe
that she has done the best she knew how to. But I don't think that leaving
the keys in the car is the only way to invite the thief. The mere fact that
it is a flashy enough car would give some people the temptation to do the
wrong thing. When the wrong people see online images that are nice enough,
they'll think of ways to get it. As someone once told me, if you're
targeted, you're targeted. We can put all the locks in our homes and they'll
still get through if they're smart enough. It's a sad world we live in.

K.

On 17/05/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I don't think your analogy is quite complete.  The owner of a
> Ferarri, recognizing the high value of the car and its attraction to
> thieves, would be sure to have adequate insurance and not leave the keys
> in the car to invite the thief.  Uploading a high res photo (and I don't
> know if she did so), IMHO, is inviting the thief.  The thievery is still
> despicable in any case but I just don't understand posting a high res
> image if that's what happened.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> khen lim wrote:
> > I don't think the issue is whether Flickr is or isn't a good site to
> post
> > photos. It's a free choice for people to decide if they prefer to set up
> > their own website or simply upload them to a site that is all defined
> for
> > them to do at any time. Doesn't cost anything either that is unless
> you're a
> > Pro member.
> >
> > Ali, let's give her the benefit of the doubt. I'm surprised to read that
> you
> > think it might be a publicity stunt. Please don't introduce a <theory>
> that
> > might get people thinking the worst about her. I think Rebekka deserves
> our
> > support. And it can happen to any of us.
> >
> > Third point is whether she uploads a 640x480 image or one that is a
> hundred
> > times larger is immaterial. One should be free to put up any type of
> image
> > she wants so long as it doesn't offend the viewers. I don't think she
> was
> > necessarily foolish to have uploaded a high res photo. If so, it's like
> > saying I've got a Ferrari but I shouldn't take it out of my garage to
> drive
> > lest people steal it. So instead, I drive around town in my little
> Trabant
> > so that I can park it anywhere, and let people do what they want to it.
> >
> > Just my humble opinion only.
> >
> > K.

> >> Yeah, anyone interested in buying a copy of the book I'm publishing on
> >> Northamtonshire ?
> >>
> >> ...Wayne
> >>
> >> Wayne Harridge
> >>
> >> http://lrh.structuregraphs.com