[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:15:45 -0700

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:05:35 -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>

>> I am sorry, but I was pointing out that what you said about no one
>> going hungry because of corn prices was inaccurate. I gave you an
>> example.
>
> You didn't give me any reason to think those people are going
> hungry due to corn prices.

Actually I did, but you wish to deny it.

>> You deny that what you said was inaccurate and then say that
>> the the peasants themselves or the Mexican government should solve
>> their hunger problem which you said does not exist.
>
> I never said poverty doesn't exist. I said no one is going hungry
> due to $4 corn.

I did not say that you said poverty does not exist which you can read
for yourself in the quote you chose. Apparently you were uninterested
in reading any of the references that outlined the relationship
between the price of corn and hunger in Mexico. It would be amusing
if it were not so common to see someone from an area of the country
that likes to thump its chest and trumpet its superior values to be
blind to the plight of others when it comes to profit.

> No I haven't, but I'd question the reasonableness of an argument
> that suggests Mexican poverty has more to do with US grain prices
> than it does with the Mexican government.

You continue to throw out this red herring. Of course the Mexican
government has to do with Mexican poverty, and so does our trade
relationship with Mexico. That is another issue and you have
attempted to change the subject. The subject was your error in
asserting that there was no relationship between hunger and the
delightful rise in corn prices. The fact that I gave you information
you could read and disabuse yourself of that, or that you could not
figure that out for yourself without news reports, and you still
assert it means to me that your own self interest is more important
than any truth or moral issue.

C'mon admit it. You just don't care. I can accept that. It is the
little lie which is so absurd as to insult the intelligence in order
to justify a point of view that is hard to take.