[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:29:15 -0600
Yes, Europeans have good public transit, which is simply non-existent in
most parts of the USA. We had none in my hometown in Indiana and here in
Santa Fe the public transit doesn't run anywhere close to where I live, and
doesn't go anywhere near my biggest client. So, I drive.

I have a gas guzzler, a huge Chevy Caprice. My grandpa gave it to me, and if
it weren't for him I wouldn't own any car. I can't afford to spend 20,000 to
buy a new fuel-efficient car, or even $5000 on a used one. I spend a lot on
gas, but I did the math and realized that if I bought a used car that got
better gas mileage than my Caprice, the used car would fall apart before I
actually saved any money because of the $5000 or so that a decent used car
would cost me.

This is a problem that faces a lot of working class people in America. They
don't have the cash to buy a fuel efficient car, and can't borrow the money
for one due to bad credit that is a result of not making enough to live. My
credit was ruined by medical bills I couldn't pay. I have had a lot of
medical problems since childhood and have not had insurance since my
father's insurance told me I was too old to be on it at age 21. I'm 31 now.
You Europeans have free health care. Americans don't.

America's ecomomy WOULD be wrecked because the majority of Americans (70% of
us make less than 40,000 a year) would have to choose between food and gas
if it gets too expensive to drive to our crappy paying jobs.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com