[OM] Re: The Shock of Influence

Subject: [OM] Re: The Shock of Influence
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:03:55 -0500
I gave up my CR subscription years ago for several reasons. The thing that
most troubled me is their obsession with cars. I don't buy a new car every
year or two, but one issue a year and about 25% of the other issues relate
to buying cars. There's a lot of info I don't need.

Second most troublesome is when they get into subjective judgements. I know
several engineer/CR readers that depend on them to find the best tasting
whatever, but I can eat a hot dog and make up my own mind. Other areas that
present particularly bad examples are reviews of cameras and stereos and
tv's. I've seen highly rated tv's in stores that have basic bad pictures,
not completely related to input problems.

Finally, they are large metropolitan area centric, in reviews of many
products. I don't need to know that the ten best whatever comes from a store
with a very regional presence if it isn't my region.

All in all, they have a good idea, but poorly executed.

Bill Pearce