[OM] Re: The Shock of Influence

Subject: [OM] Re: The Shock of Influence
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:17:17 -0400
At 10:04 AM 4/11/2007, Sandy Harris wrote:

>Late 70s, as I recall.
>
> > I think you've been depending on urban legend rather than real data.
>
>No, I'm recalling reading a CR publication. Long enough ago that
>the recall is hazy, and it is possible I misread it in the first place.
>But I clearly recall the shock and amusement.

I think that your shock and amusement might have been misplaced in
that case if it was directed at CR but maybe justified if it was
directed at GM.  :-)  One of the first things a person should look
for when considering the purchase of a '70s Corvette is rust.  The
frames and the bird cage (metal frame surrounding the cockpit) are
prone to rust problems, especially in the northern states where salt
is used on the roads in the winter.  The moisture/salt tends to
collect within the frame just before the "kick-up" in front of the
rear wheels.  In more severe cases the frames have been known to
break into in that area. It's a common enough problem that some of
the restoration supply houses sell replacement frame pieces that can
be welded in to existing frames to repair the rusted out areas.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA