[OM] The Shock of Influence

Subject: [OM] The Shock of Influence
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:56:12 -0500
I've got a friend who has been thinking about picking up a DSLR for
quite a while.  Since he's been a Canaan user for years, I suggested
he look at the digital rebels.  He didn't want to make a huge
investment of $$$, so he kept his eye on KEH used models, with his
heart set on an XT.

Problem is that the prices didn't go as low as he wanted to pay for
used and then the stock just sort of disappeared.  He felt like he'd
lost his opportunity.

While he knew that I was shooting Olympus, I didn't really push it in
any way.  After all he had a couple Canaan-mount lenses.  But then one
was just a kit 50mm and the other a Sigma medium zoom.  Nothing too
great to build around.  When he mentioned that his main interest was
getting good photos of his kid and a little landscape, I mentioned
that 4/3 has become a nice format especially of portraiture.  He got a
little bit interested.

Next I heard from him, he's asking me what I think about B&H Photo.
The best, I says.  He's then telling me that he's been doing some
reading about the E-500 on dpreview and elsewhere and has found a
great price on the two lens kit.  Next thing I know he's got a package
and is charging the battery.

I don't really know a darn thing about the E-500, and I feel like
Uncle Ernie just moved in with us.  I hope Olympus does good by him.

Joel W.
New France